Saturday, August 8, 2009

Vikki Johnson


TruthIsI: Thank you for taking time with TruthIsI. As you know, we interview like-minded successful women such as yourself in an effort to inform and educate our audience. One thing that attracted us to you is your latest book entitled “Addicted to Counterfeit Love.” Can you tell us a little bit about this book and what inspired you to write it?

VJ: My book explores unhealthy behaviors/emotions that many often misinterpret as love. I was inspired to write the book because of my own experiences and the experiences of many women that I’ve had the privilege to share their journeys.

TruthIsI: You’re not only a successful author, you’re also the Senior Manager of Public Affairs for BET, an associate pastor, and a “destined” Director … did we miss anything? As a single mother with so many accomplishments under your belt, how do you manage it all?

VJ: (laugh) I manage my life one day at a time, one moment at a time! I’m constantly re-evaluating my priorities and making adjustments accordingly.

TruthIsI: Can you share advice and/or words of wisdom for the millions of other single mothers such as myself on staying focused, keeping it all together while still accomplishing your own dreams, goals, and aspirations?

VJ: I’m able to stay focused because I only do what fits my purpose. I know what fits my purpose because I have a SOLID relationship with God and I am a woman of faith. Consequently, living a purpose-driven life is one of order, peace, and lots of love!

TruthIsI: There is a little misconception of what public affairs is. Can you share with us on what you do and the difference between public affairs and public relations?

VJ: Public Relations is primarily a “media” related career and Public Affairs is more “community” related and connected.

TruthIsI: How did you launch your career with BET?

VJ: Believe it or not, I started as an intern in 1986 when Donnie Simpson was the host of Video Soul. After several other positions in the industry, I returned to BET in 1997 and have been here since.

TruthIsI: For someone who wants to start a career within public affairs what advice or “road map” would you give them?

VJ: Do a lot of volunteer work ~ particularly in areas that you are passionate about. Secondly, build strong, solid, authentic relationships with people who are doing what you want to do. How do you do that? VOLUNTEER (smile)

TruthIsI: You and I share a similar passion with regards to youth, prevention, and healthy living. I have asked this question countless times to our youth and have yet to receive an educated answer … with all the community based organizations, campaigns, and overall assistance that is provided to youth in an effort to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies, it seems as though most turn a “deaf ear” and, the numbers are continuing to climb amongst youth and young adults. Why do you think that is? Why are we not getting through to our youth in more increasing numbers? Where are we possibly “missing the boat?”

VJ: We’re not missing the boat! The boat just isn’t big enough. The more kids we educate, the more kids who we haven’t reached yet show up. We just have to stay committed.

TruthIsI: We like closing with a positive affirmation, please share …

VJ: “Be the change you want to see” - GHANDI

TruthIsI: Again, thank you for your time and support and you haven’t heard the last from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment